There is incontestable evidence linking house mold to a range of health problems. Mold is a serious health risk, especially for children. Constant mold exposure can alter the joints, the nervous system, the brain and, most important, the immune system. Cleaning products found on stores are loaded with harsh chemicals that produce harmful vapors. Once inhaled, these vapors may alter your health. But there are natural ways to remove mold from the house. They are not only effective but also safer to use and eco friendly.
These are the best 5 natural solutions to remove black mold:
Vinegar can destroy 99% of bacteria, 82% of mold spores and 80% of germs. The method is quite simple. Pour white vinegar in a spray bottle (this makes it easier to apply). Spray the vinegar directly over the mold and let it work for an hour.
Next, clean the area with a damp cloth and let it dry. Do not worry about the strong smell, it will vanish in a few hours.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda is one of the most effective household ingredients. For best results, mix it with vinegar and water. Spray it directly on the moldy area. Let it work, then wipe it with a damp cloth, rubbing gently.
3. Hydrogen peroxide
3% Hydrogen Peroxide is the less costly solution to remove black mold. Mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and vinegar. Use equal parts of all ingredients. Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and apply to the moldy area. Let it work for 10-15 minutes before rinsing.
4. Tea tree oil
Although it is more expensive, tea tree oil is extremely helpful in removing mold. It is ideal for smaller areas. Mix 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil with 1 cup of water. Spray the solution on the affected area and let it dry. No rinsing is needed.
5.Citrus seed extract
Citrus seed extract does not leave any odor after using, unlike the above methods. Simply dissolve about 20 drops of seed extract in 2 cups of water. Pour the mix in a spray bottle and apply on the mold. Do not rinse.
Water is a vital ingredient for mold or mildew to grow. A high relative humidity indicates a high level of moisture in the air. That’s why on hot, humid days the air feels thick or heavy, and also why mold and mildew grows easily in showers and locker rooms. Try to keep the indoor humidity levels below 50% to prevent it from forming. An easy way to accomplish this is by using a dehumidifier. Running an air conditioner will reduce the humidity in the room too.
Image Credits: Disaster Company