Washing clothes by hand have become quite a nuisance. Everybody is just using a washing machine and that’s it. However, there is some delicate clothing that requires more than that. Hence, we need to learn how to clean delicates and what is the best hand-wash method.
So even these days, knowing how to hand-wash clothing is still a useful skill to have in your arsenal!
Don’t be scared though, hand-washing is neither as time-consuming or as labor-intensive as you might think. Here are the instructions on how to clean delicates and the best hand-wash method. You’ll be surprised how safely and effectively the results can get.
Thus, how to clean delicates?
1. First of all, you’ll need to make your own gentle detergent:
– 3 bars Fels Naptha laundry soap
– 1 (76 oz) box borax
– 1 (55 oz) box washing soda
– 2 cups baking soda
– 2 (55 oz) box OxiClean
Now, to make this detergent, you need to break down the bars of soap. Chop them and then transfer them to your blender, while also adding a scoop of OxiClean. This is the key ingredients because it will break down the soap chunks into fine pieces. So, in the end, you need to have pretty fine pellets of soap. That way, you will be sure they dissolve properly in the wash.
The next step is to combine all the remaining ingredients. An easy way is to do it in a trash bag. Start pouring everything into one trash bag and tie it up. Now to make sure everything is secured, put it in another bag and tie it tight. Then just toss it around for a good mixing. That’s it, you could just make a hole and then store it in a nice jar or a container.
Now, let’s get into the hand-washing:
2. Start by reading the label of the item of clothing you want to wash. Look in particular for any detergent or water temperature recommendations.
3. If there aren’t any recommendations on the label, your safest bet will be to wash the item in lukewarm water with the homemade detergent you just did.
4. Fill a bucket with lukewarm water, then add a small amount of detergent. Mix it up together with a large spoon or a whisk to dissolve the detergent and break up any clumps.
5. Submerge your garment in the soapy water, and move it around using gentle swishing motions. Avoid wringing, stretching, scrubbing, or twisting!
6. After a few minutes of swishing, drain your container of water and refill it with cool water for rinsing. Push your garment down into the water several times to rinse it out. Drain the rinse water and repeat, if necessary.
7. As for drying, it is best to let it air dry by hanging the clothing on a hanger.
And you’re done. This is the proper method to be hand-washing your delicate clothing.