Washing clothes by hand have become quite a nuisance. Everybody is just using a washing machine and that’s it. However, there is some delicate clothing that requires more than that. Hence, we need to learn how to clean delicates and what is the best hand-wash method.
Knowing how to hand-wash clothing is still a useful skill nowadays!
Don’t be scared though, hand-washing is neither time-consuming or intensive work as you might think. You’ll be surprised how effective this process is.
1. First of all, you’ll need to make your own detergent:
– 3 bars Fels Naptha laundry soap
– 1 (76 oz) box borax
– 1 (55 oz) box washing soda
– 2 cups baking soda
– 55 oz of OxiClean
First, break down the soap bars. Chop it and put it in the blender, adding a scoop of OxiClean. Turn on the blender until you get small pieces of soap.
Next, mix all the remaining ingredients. You can use a trash bag. Pour everything into a trash bag and tie it up. Make sure everything is secured, and shake for a good mixing. Make a hole in the bag and pour the mixture in a jar.
Now, let’s get into the hand-washing:
1. Start by reading the item’s label you want to wash. Look for any detergent or water temperature recommendations.
2. If there aren’t any recommendations on the label, start washing the item in lukewarm water with the homemade detergent you just made.
3. Fill a large enough container with lukewarm water, then add a small amount of detergent. Stir using a large spoon to better dissolve the detergent.
4. Sink the clothing item in the soapy water and stir it gently. Avoid rubbing it!
5. After a few minutes, remove the soapy water and refill the container with cool tap water. Sink the clothing item in the water several times to rinse it properly.
6. Finally, dry the item.
You’re done. This is the proper method to hand-wash your delicate clothing.